sky

import max modeling data

Hi

Is there a way import max modeling data which was textured at max

into houdini ? If so, is it possible to import sequence modeling data ?

Thanks

You could try to find yourself a nice, free, OBJ exporter plug-in for 3dsmax. Houdini can import Wavefront OBJs with UV-coordinates intact.

Or you could use MaxMan to generate a RIB file and import it into Houdini via AlienGlue. It's going to cost you some, this way. Or you could try writting your own Autodesk 3DS interpretter, but this can be pretty time consuming...

Or you could use MaxMan to generate a RIB file and import it into Houdini via AlienGlue.

It is Martian Glue from Martian Labs and not AlienGlue.

Cheers!

steven

Erm... I was mistaking the name with something else. (I think with the name of some custom Photoshop plug-ins I've stumbled on years ago.)

Thanks MG, stevenong

After houdini import OBJs with UV-coordinates, How can I set SOP network especially UV-coordinates ?

Cheers

Thanks MG, stevenong

After houdini import OBJs with UV-coordinates, How can I set SOP network especially UV-coordinates ?

Cheers

No problem at all!

But, what do you mean exactly? Being able to edit the UV's in SOP level? I don't fully get your next question.

> I don't fully get your next question.

I'm sorry MG.

I don't know how can I apply imported UV and textures to houdini.

> Being able to edit the UV's in SOP level?

Is it possible ?

Your UV coordinates are already there! They are just not listed in your network.

Set your 3D viewport pane to "UV" viewing and hit home. Then, if there are things you'd like to edit, smoothen out etc. you can use the UV editing SOPs.

Mapping textures is even easier, just select your last SOP in your network rightmousebutton click on it and pick "Save Texture image". It'll save out your, UV-mapped, geometry as a wireframe image. Ready for your to paint over and map back onto your model into Houdini :D

Thanks MG

When I apply imported texture or map back onto my model into houdini,

it need UV Project SOP or UV texture SOP ?

If everything went alright, you should be able to map your texture onto the model via a SHOP without any problem (it should pick up the UV coordinates).

As was stated before, the uv's should already be there. No need to apply any UV generator or manipulator SOPs. If you use the MiddleMouseButton click on the icon of the file SOP, in the attributes part of the info, you should see uv[3] in there. This means that there are uv attributes present.

Just plop down a shader SOP or apply the shader at the object level. In SHOPs create a Vex Decal SHOP, put your map reference in there then apply this in your shader SOP or drag-drop on the geo in a viewport. You should see the map.

Thanks old school

I could really understand it. thanks. If applied SHOP will be two more,

is it possible to apply it in a shader SOP ? is there any problems or

any attentions (may be apply order primary, secondary, 1st, 2nd.. )?

Cheers

Thanks old school

I could really understand it. thanks. If applied SHOP will be two more,

is it possible to apply it in a shader SOP ? is there any problems or

any attentions (may be apply order primary, secondary, 1st, 2nd.. )?

Cheers

Well, if the SHOPs you've used exist as ("preset") VOP materials, you could mix/multiple them within VOPs in Houdini.