how to get a fluid to stick to a surface

farhan

Hello there, I have a question about fluids sticking to a vertical surface (e.g. a wall).

What I'd want to do is to fire a high viscous fluid (a jelly/custard) against a wall.

I want the jelly/custard to stick to the wall.

I then want the jelly/custard mixture to separate,

i.e. a) the part against the wall sticks and starts to slide down the wall and

B) the part on the outer edge separates and falls to the floor.

I'm intending on using the controls on the internal Forces tab of the Particle Fluid Solver to accomplish the latter part of the sim. What I'm having trouble with is getting the fluid to initially stick to the wall.

What I've tried so far is setting the Friction and Dynamic Friction Scale under the Physical tab on the Particle Fluid Solver to really high values. That gives varying results but doesn't get the fluid to stick to the wall. I was hoping there would be a node/some settings somewhere that would allow me to choose Stick on Collision/Slide on Collision like there is in the Collision node that you find in POPS.

Ultimately I want to get the jelly/custards to stick to moving characters. I figured I'd start by a simple wall example but (pardon the pun) got unstuck at the first stage.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ultimately I want to get the jelly/custards to stick to moving characters. I figured I'd start by a simple wall example but (pardon the pun) got unstuck at the first stage.

Have you tried using FLIP and making it into a sticky fluid? You may want to do a 2 stage effect like FLIP sticky fluid > cache > scatter points on the cached fluid's surface (may need to convert to isosurface first) then use a fluidsource node with Stamp Points turned on to create the initial volume for the pyro simulation.

Just a thought off the top of my head...

:)

Edited by Nik S

I don't think the concept of stickiness is available in the solvers out of the box - that said, with some really crazy high drag fields + mask field dop, it gives a somewhat suitable effect - please see attached hip file.

That said, I think that trying to adhere stick fluid onto deforming geometry will be quite challenging, let us know if you figure it out :)

GW

sphFauxStickToWall.hip