Render of water suddenly gone white - please help urgent.

Hi There

I've been working on this project for a while with no problems outputting progress renders and all of a sudden this afternoon my renders of the liquid have gone white and I have no idea why?

Could somebody please have a look at hip and tell me what i've done wrong as I have no idea and am in a bit of a panic.

any help much appreciated.

thanks

Nigel.

pool wave 30 ps008.hiplc

I don't have the file you're using in your environment light so I've had to put a HDR in (there was a jpeg in there before - Any reason?), but it looks to me like there's just too much light? If dial down both of your lights you get the shape back in the water. 

Can grab the HDR here if you want to rebuild the scene - http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html - Barcelona Rooftops. 

water_1.PNG

pool wave 30 ps008_v02.hipnc

Edited by adrianr

Ok, thanks and thanks very much for replying, was quite at a loss and in a bit of a panic, fortunately i need to rework quite a bit of this now so push to render delayed..

It was working with the attached file previously tho to be honest it looked pretty bad.

It was what I was supplied with, I just assumed hdr could be saved out as jpeg and it wouldn't matter but I have no idea about that, never really like to use env lights with an hdr, it's just what the comp artist wants.

Will this not work as an hdr?

View1cleaned Panorama.jpeg

The hdr file should be a .hdr format image (or exr), it holds a very high dynamic range that Houdini can use to light your image (and give you nice refraction through the water). A jpeg can't hold the information necessary - You could get away with it for refraction but not for the actual lighting. Another issue with that image is the big black hole at the bottom. Might give you some funky results. It's super easy to fix that in Nuke with a spherical transform so see if the guy who supplied it (if its the comp guy who wants you to use it) if he can paint it out. 

Edited by adrianr

Oh right, that could be why the fluid looked so milky, haven't really gotten beyond designing the movement at the mo so only been looking at tests but did wonder. (and then they say render out a hi res wip for tomorrow - not..)

i'll talk to the comp guy.

thanks for the advice much appreciated.

7 hours ago, nigelgardiner said:

It was what I was supplied with, I just assumed hdr could be saved out as jpeg and it wouldn't matter but I have no idea about that, never really like to use env lights with an hdr, it's just what the comp artist wants.

Id be surprised that you can't use a JPEG, as that photo looks like an HDR converted to SDR, for screen viewing purposes.  You just can fake the increase in the dynamic range by simply colour correcting parts to more than value 1 if needed. Kind of like the old cineon log files.