Grid Based Glyph Generator

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a glyph generator based on a 3x3 crossed grid.
This is where I have got to so far.
The way I've created this is pretty rough. I made a grid, divided it, flipped it, merged the results, fused, converted to wireframe, assigned random colour for primitives, delete by colour, stamped with copySOP.

Instead of converting the edges to a primitive, i would prefer to assign a random attribute to the edges and delete them on that basis. But my knowledge has hit a wall as edges aren't really attributable according to the geospreadsheet. 

Further, I need to figure out a way to identify when a 'X' happens and delete one of the edges. Maybe I could fix this further up the tree by stamping a grid which randomly flips a divided cell (rather than flipping the whole grid and merging+fusing them).

If anyone has any pointers let me know, I will also attach the hip too.  Hope I make sense!

Cheers.

dev1.png

glyph.hip

Edited by jim_johnston
  • Like 2

This is SUPER cool and you've actually helped me a lot here on an unrelated project. Thank you!

What you want to do is convert your edges into prims using the Carve SOP (see link), though I kept getting unwanted points that needed to be fused. From there you can use VEX or VOP to delete random prims.

The attribvop1 node here should be a Primitive VOP SOP. They're the same afaik, except that a primvop is set to Primitives not Points. Let me know if you have any questions.

Carve SOP:
http://forums.odforce.net/topic/14080-turn-edges-into-separate-primitives/

gliphs.hiplc

Edited by shawn_kearney

Thanks Shaun! Will take a look in a sec, just an update, figured out a solution to the cross over thing here. I basically made two primitives based on the original grid slanting both ways then used a switchsop with a random stamp based on primtive number. again, a bit rough but it works. I'll attach the hip tooooo.

dev2.png

glyph..hip

EDIT: small correction, should have stamped the switch to the lower copysop. the diagonals are the same for each (even though some get deleted)

Edited by jim_johnston

14 minutes ago, shawn_kearney said:

This is SUPER cool and you've actually helped me a lot here on a project. Thank you!

What you want to do is convert your edges into prims. From there you can use VEX or VOP to delete random prims. Let me know if you have any questions.

gliphs.hiplc

Fantastic, never used the carve tool like that before and that VEXsop is going to help me forever haha. Thanks!

• Like 1

ok this had me scratching my head a bit. for the diagonal section ive used a copysop and switchsop to switch between two diagonals which are copied across the grid using the primitive number. now obviously when i copy this set again across a grid its going to give the same instances of the pattern.
so for the first time in my houdini learning, i've had copy stamp a copy stamp

dev3.png

Edited by jim_johnston
  • Like 3