How to displace geometry curly?

aesthete

Hi guys. I've stuck in making a displacing geometry which forms the shape of popcorn these days. My ultimate goal is to make a popcorn generator, which can give different shapes of the popcorn procedurally. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUHzcXrX2_U

As you can see, kernel's peels are bending toward bottom and I think this is the most important thing to make the generator. To aim that, firstly I started a concept of curling line, but it wasn't proper when it applied to surface or geometry. There were a lot of things to take into consideration for me. 

So now, I'm trying to use displacement instead. In my thoughts, the way of making it is roughly like below..

- set the part of bottom, where displacement won't be occurred, or slightly.

- set the part of middle which is going to be displaced and finally form the curly shape through a certain process.

- with solver or loop, displace the area with adjusted normal.

- smooth or remesh to reset the displaced area properly.

- reset the displaced area to make it bend curly...

But in this way, might be wrong and nasty..., there's the problems adjusting normal and reseting or regroupig the displaced area to make displaced curly. I couldn't let the area bend inwards with normal adjusted by simple vector, so tried to rotate the vector and it may work well, but to reset the displaced area remains big problem...

attached a hip file, and any suggestion and idea for making the shape of popcorn would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

displaceCurly.hip

Hi..

It's a tricky effect to achieve by displacing a mesh. 

I'd suggest trying to achieve it by converting your seed to an SDF and advecting it by a velocity field. Attached is a basic example of the method I'm referring too, you should be able to sculpt/create the velocity field to achieve the shape you need. You'll probably need to tweak the SDF compositing to get it closer to the reference.

Not sure if this is the best way, but probably the first method i'd try. 

gd luck.

VDBAdvectSDF.hipnc

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trzanko said:

Check out the sweep examples, there is one that shows you how to curl a line. You could then sweep a line and skin it and vary the width by a ramp parameter to get the kernel shape!

I didn't know the example, thanks! So to make the shape what I want, you'd suggest firstly bend the lines and mesh them with the main kernel using VDB. Right?

11 hours ago, Mikal said:

Hi..

It's a tricky effect to achieve by displacing a mesh. 

I'd suggest trying to achieve it by converting your seed to an SDF and advecting it by a velocity field. Attached is a basic example of the method I'm referring too, you should be able to sculpt/create the velocity field to achieve the shape you need. You'll probably need to tweak the SDF compositing to get it closer to the reference.

Not sure if this is the best way, but probably the first method i'd try. 

gd luck.

VDBAdvectSDF.hipnc

I also think that it's difficult to make the shape by displacing… may be challenging to me.

Using vel field would be a nice method than I tried above, thanks! I'll give it a try!

I'd use the bend and sweep method for the bent shells. I'd then extrude those faces in another stream, subdivide, shape them with noise and then merge with original stream. Assign a different material to each part and that should do for a simple set up!

If you will be making a lot of different copies of this I'd recommend staying away from volumes as much as you can for the sake of speed.

Edited by trzanko