Strange waves from Guided ocean layer

dpap

I am having a problem with the guided ocean layer sim. I am getting some really weird waves that look like spikes. They occur near the beginning or the end of the bounding box . I tried the following things but nothing works:

increased the substeps,  Layer Size, the Guiding Surface thickness, Lower and Upper padding, disabled the Max Displacement Frame parameter, reduced the Grid Size in the wavetank... nothing

Do have any idea what goes wrong ?

particle separation 0.1  .jpg

large ocean problem.jpg

large ocean problem-1 .ii.jpg

large ocean problem-1 .i.jpg

large ocean problem 1.hip

large ocean problem.hip

I did a lot of tests and my conclusion is that this kind of waves occur when you use Guided ocean layer, following a fast moving boat and colliding with a wave created by Oceanwave sop.

The intensity of the problem is related with the speed of the wave and the speed of the wavetank. the following image is with wave speed 10

oceanwave-and-20-knots-boat.thumb.gif.f6d823587cd79ac9b6b4d1f4ad39a51a.gif

oceanwave-and-20-knots-boat-side.gif

If you use the value of 4 for the tank instead of 10 which is the default the problem is still there but less noticeable.oceanwave-speed-4-i.thumb.gif.9914e2dcdc2b4b97035ec3e67f835432.gif

The problem has nothing to do with the collision object. Even when there is no boat but only a moving wavetank the results are the same.

A boat moving with 20 knots (see the attached file) is quite fast but not an unrealistic scenario. If you don't use the oceanwave everything works as expected.

Raisin the number of substeps to 4 did not help.

What is physically correct value for the wave speed? Is 10 wrong value?

oceanwave speed 4.i.hip

oceanwave and 20knots boat.hip

Edited by dpap

• 1 year later...
On 10/10/2017 at 5:20 AM, dpap said:

I did a lot of tests and my conclusion is that this kind of waves occur when you use Guided ocean layer, following a fast moving boat and colliding with a wave created by Oceanwave sop.

The intensity of the problem is related with the speed of the wave and the speed of the wavetank. the following image is with wave speed 10

oceanwave-and-20-knots-boat.thumb.gif.f6d823587cd79ac9b6b4d1f4ad39a51a.gif

oceanwave-and-20-knots-boat-side.gif

If you use the value of 4 for the tank instead of 10 which is the default the problem is still there but less noticeable.oceanwave-speed-4-i.thumb.gif.9914e2dcdc2b4b97035ec3e67f835432.gif

The problem has nothing to do with the collision object. Even when there is no boat but only a moving wavetank the results are the same.

A boat moving with 20 knots (see the attached file) is quite fast but not an unrealistic scenario. If you don't use the oceanwave everything works as expected.

Raisin the number of substeps to 4 did not help.

What is physically correct value for the wave speed? Is 10 wrong value?

oceanwave speed 4.i.hip

oceanwave and 20knots boat.hip

Hi Dim,

Not sure whether you have find a fix for this, and for those who are still facing this issue

Enabling "Stick on Guide" on the Gas Guiding Volume under Dopnet sim could be a solution for this.

regards

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2019 at 2:30 PM, anoop said:

Hi Dim,

Not sure whether you have find a fix for this, and for those who are still facing this issue

Enabling "Stick on Guide" on the Gas Guiding Volume under Dopnet sim could be a solution for this.

regards

Hi Anoop, i had the same problem, and your solution definitely resolves this kind of problem partially, however, there won't be almost any of splashes if I enable "stick on guide" in collision with the objects.
Increasing the speed of waves should make bigger splashes especially on static objects which don't move.

Edited by uroskg