Particle movement and collisions?

LatestFatality

Hey guys! I'm trying to make some floating particles inside a geometry. I need the geo to be a collision object and the particles to kinda have a buffer area before they touch anything, not very obvious but enough so nothing actually collides. However, I'm having trouble getting the particles to actually treat the geo as a collision object, and also stopping some of the random ones that like to go super fast. I thought that the popspeedlimit would the trick for the fast ones, however, it kinda clamps the whole speed of all the particles, rather than clamping the velocity of the fast ones.

Anyway, here is the scene file with the alembic, if anyone has an idea of how to fix this please let me know! 

underwater_particles.009.hipnc

blockoutForSim.abc

Hi, can’t open your file right now, but if your geo works for the slowest particles, then it is not a problem of setting up the collision geometry (you use a static solver ?), it is a problem of sampling the position of your particle between frames : you should increase the number of substeps of your simulation.

On the contrary, if all your particles go through you collision object, then you should work on the static object collision guide : check if the normals are reversed, check if you need to use a concave geo etc. Maybe if you want them to stay in a box, just extrude each wall outward so that there is enough thickness to avoid you putting too many substeps... By the way, there are options for the static objects to determine their thickness (the buffer you are talking about : read the manual where they explain that far better than me)

I’ll try to look at your file tonight

Edited by StepbyStepVFX

Thank you so much for your response! I think its a problem with the collision object, I've already extruded it and used concave geo, but I will check the normals cause that might be it! For the buffer thing, I will try to use a POP Steer Obstacle as it seems to be exactly what I need.. 

Let me know if you do take a look!
Thanks again :)

Hi, I tried to understand what you wanted to achieve and changed your file accordingly. Not sure if that's the result you want.

I cleaned the DOP network : in your case, no need to create a static object (I think).

I also deleted the particles that hit the tank. Well, you'll see what I did :-)

If this is not what you wanted to achieve, let me know.

reviewed.underwater_particles.009.hipnc