Particle Creep Instances Correct Rotation

natalia

Hello everyone.

I've been working with Maya for quite some time and I'm quite new to Houdini. I'm trying to achieve a bunch of particle instanced objects to creep along a surface. I've managed to start that with the particle creep operator putting an expression on the U V parameters. (What local var is the U V param as I want to be able to check if they are over 1 or under 0 so I can loop. A modulo %1 loops only if it is above 1)

But now I was wondering how to calculate it's velocity and getting the surface normal so that I can orient my instanced objects with expressions based on the values I've gathered. For the velocity It's simple I wish to get the world position of the particle at frame T-1 and at frame T and substract the results to get the velocity. How do you achieve this in Houdini as I'm so used to write code for particles in Maya. I would normaly update the old position after I've calculated the velocity.

For the normals I simply can't figure out wich node could help me.

Any Ideas anyone ? that would be great :P

Nat

For velocity look at the Trail SOP.

If you are using the Creep SOP then the points will inherit whatever attributes are on the surface, if you are using a Creep POP then you can use either an AttribTransfer SOP or the primuv() expression to lookup attributes.

For velocity look at the Trail SOP.

If you are using the Creep SOP then the points will inherit whatever attributes are on the surface, if you are using a Creep POP then you can use either an AttribTransfer SOP or the primuv() expression to lookup attributes.

Hey Thanks alot !! got it working. I used primuv() in the upvector POP and computed the velocity with the trail SOP. The only thing I would like to add is that to compute velocity with the trail SOP is that I had to birth all my particles on frame 1 so that there is always the same number of points for the SOP operator to work properly.

Many Thanks

Nat