Surface Shader, Surface Opacity, VOPS

Mcronin

Can anyone try something out for me in VOPs? In Houdini 6.0.278, I can't seem to make a shader use a texture map to control surface opacity. I was able to in the version previous to 278. Now, it just doesn't work. The opaque area (in the map) renders normally as it should, and the surface area that's supposed to be transparent renders opaque with bright speckles all over it. I don't know if it's a bug or if I'm doing something wrong. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong because, like I said it worked fine in older version using the very same maps I'm using now.

Kinda need to get this fixed quickly, any help is appreciated.

• 5 months later...

Howdy,

I was paging through the old posts because I was having this problem as well. I am using a multiply node though, albeit I may not be using it correctly(I am new to VOPs). Basically, I am trying to map the opacity onto a surface using a grayscale texure map to make a surface translucent in conjunction with the actual color texture map. I know something is premultiplying weirdly, because when I add it to the Of of the Output node I get the funky effect described above. I can't seem to get it to go. I am following the same technique used for the diffuse map in the Houdini Learning Tutorials for VOPs. If someone could give me a quick tip on the order of operations to successfully combine these two maps to get a nice opaque output for a simple VOP shader I would be much obliged.

;)

The output of your color goes into the multiply

The output of your opacity map goes into the multiply and also into the Of output

The output of your multiply goes into the Cf output

I just tried it to make sure in Houdini 6.1.149 on Linux using a pair of TGA's and it worked fine. If you cant get it working post your file.