Step by step - Bullet on the Mac

hey guys,

when I try and compile the latest version I get the following error.

larss-mac-pro:src lars$ ./build.sh

Making debug version

Linking with 'libBulletDynamics'

Linking with 'libBulletCollision'

Linking with 'libBulletSoftBody'

Linking with 'libLinearMath'

Making SIM_SolverBullet.o and /Users/lars/Library/Preferences/houdini/10.0/dso/SIM_SolverBullet.dylib from SIM_SolverBullet.cpp

cc1plus: warning: command line option "-fobjc-gc-only" is valid for ObjC/ObjC++ but not for C++

ld: warning: directory '/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.595/Resources/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.595/Libraries' following -L not found

ld: warning: directory '/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.595/Resources/Frameworks' following -F not found

ld: file not found: @rpath/libboost_iostreams-xgcc42-mt-1_37.dylib

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

larss-mac-pro:src lars$

anyone have any idea's?

greetings,

Lars

Hmm.... it might be your houdini environment variables aren't set, maybe? Are you using the terminal settings found inside of the Houdini application folder? (/Applications/Houdini 10.0.xx/) Running that automatically sets all of the environment variables, which are necessary to build any HDK plugins.

Also, what is exactly inside of your build.sh file?

Share here my experience on OS 10.6.3. (sorry for my english...)

1> First install:

XCode (http://developer.apple.com/technologies/xcode.html)

Cmake (http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html)

2> Download:

Bullet-2.76.tgz (Unix line endings) (http://code.google.com/p/bullet/downloads/list)

Bullet Physics Solver DOP (http://gitorious.org/bullet-physics-solver) in 'source tree' and choose 'Download master as tar.gz' on the right side of the page.

3> Untar Bullet-2.76.tgz (double-click on it, a folder named Bullet-2.76 will be created with all resources in it).

Create a directory to compile bullet.

4> Launch Cmake. Choose Bullet-2.76 folder for 'Where is source code' and the directory created for compile for 'Where to build the binaires'.

In Tools menu, click 'Configure'. In popup window, select 'Unix Makefiles' like generator and check 'Use default native compilers'.

In the main window, check option 'INSTALL_LIBS', click on 'Configure' button (Configuring done appears in console), then click on 'Generate' button (Generating done appears too.

5> Launch Terminal. Navigate to the compile folder created at third step. Type 'make'. Compiling can take few minutes. After done, type 'sudo make install', your admin password is required.

6> Untar Bullet Physics solver archive. Navigate to 'src' folder. Edit build.sh and replace like this

BULLET_INC=/usr/local/include

BULLET_LIB=/usr/local/lib

7> Go to Houdini folder application, launch Houdini Shell.terminal. Navigate where build.sh is. Type ./build.sh (Some errors appears but not affect compilation.)

8> It's done, launch Houdini, you can find Bullet RBD Solver.

Cheers.

• 8 months later...

Has anyone gotten this to work in Houdini 11? i guess the HDK in 11 is different than the one in 10 coz i can't get it to compile. I've got the bullet libraries in place and everything, but no good :(

*edit* i don't know what i did differently (maybe using bullet 2.75 vs using 2.77) but i've got it up and running now

Edited by 42streetsdown