Render points particles as smoke instead of blobs

Hello, I am currently trying to render a scene from an intro to fx tutorial of a character dissolving into smoke from points being emitted. In the scen viewport I have a color ramp on the points and it renders as a colored blobs. I am having trouble assigning a smoke shader. What is the best way to render smoke from points? Thanks

• Like 1

You would need to apply the smoke shader to a volume or at least some actual geometry rather than just points. You could copy spheres on to the points and add a uniform volume shader, or perhaps use the particle fluid surface sop. Have you considered using the particles as a volume source and creating a fully-fledged smoke sim?

If you just want to use the points you might need to change the drop-down on 'Render - Geometry - render only points', if you are getting blobby results. Additionally you con control the size of the individual points by manipulating the 'width' attribute with an attrib create sop.