randomly rotating boolean cutters copied to points

lacer8

Hello Friends, 

Thank you for your time. I'm sure this is a very easy question, but for the life of me, I'm unable to get the result I want. I'm currently working on a dynamic stone wearing node. I'd like to be able to clip the outside corners with these little cutters. I've got most of what i want working, but I'm unable to get the cutters to have some variance in their alignment to the normals. So while I can have smaller or larger cuts, they always come out oriented to the normal, creating cuts that are equal on all sides. I want them to be more random. I should just be able to add slight randomization, but I can't get an attribute randomize to work, and have also tried an attribute wrangle that spins them around the main object's normals - which is cool, but given there is no detail on the cutter objects currently it doesn't serve any purpose. 

Does anyone know what I can do to add wobbling variance to the normals that control alignment of these pieces? 

Thanks again. 

randomized_rot_cutters_03.jpg

I found this thread and solution, but in this case, binding the normalized turbulent noise to 'up' just rotates around the normal. Unfortunately, this isn't what I'm looking for. I wonder if I can bind to something besides up... 

It's difficult to know what would work without seeing your file, but the sample_direction_cone() VEX function might be what you're looking for.

For example:

@N = sample_direction_cone(@N, ch("max_angle"), rand(@ptnum));

• Thanks 1