Motion Blur Behind Transparent Objects

huhh, it's spooky. i tried Mario's scene in 8.1.866 and it gave me the same result what Merkaat uploaded, so with no MB behind the glass.

during the startup of mantra it says:

mantra: Resolving SHOP /vex/Grid failed - was it exported from Houdini?

Generating Image: ip (640x486)

Plane[C]: Cf+Af[4] (32-bit float)

it's strange for me, since the grid is apparently there..

bmt

here is another test which may get us closer to the point:

post-2183-1174348355_thumb.jpg

i animated the x scale and turned MB on on the glass plane. the MB apparently follows the points of the plane's surface and not the points of the geometry behind.. with parallel sides and movement (which is the case here) there should be no MB on the grid at all.

bmt

ps.: a better setup is a better setup.. thx Mario!

Hey there,

I checked it out again, and did indeed find a problem... see if you can reproduce this:

1. Open the file I posted, go to /out, and render the "Mantra_MP" ROP.

2. Now run the "Mantra_RT" ROP.

For #1 (micro-polygon mode) there's no MB of secondary rays, and in #2 (raytrace mode) there is. At least that's what I get in H8.1.872.

@Jason: I'm fairly certain that that journal entry was a fix for this problem, which is related to "mantra -r" only. This appears to be a different issue.

Anyhoo... I guess the answer is: use raytracing mode (mantra -r) -- generally a better idea for heavily ray-traced scenes anyway. But yeah... methinks this is a bug.

no, i couldn't reproduce your rendering. hmm..

i don't know how common is it with H, but the only thing i can think, is that you may have some setting, somewhere in a file, which is loaded at startup time and causes the difference between the two system.. i'm just wondering..

OK, and i'm running it on IA32.. i really hope that the OS has nothing to do with it. by the way it's XP :huh: .

cheers

bmt

no, i couldn't reproduce your rendering. hmm..

i don't know how common is it with H, but the only thing i can think, is that you may have some setting, somewhere in a file, which is loaded at startup time and causes the difference between the two system.. i'm just wondering..

OK, and i'm running it on IA32.. i really hope that the OS has nothing to do with it. by the way it's XP :huh: .

cheers

bmt

Version H.8.2.13 works fine. 8.1.704 doesn't. So I suppose it was some bug.