Sublime Text editor

Guest Swann

Guest Swann

Anybody tried it ? It's writed in Python and can be easily exteded. VEX support should be trivial to add if somebody is familiar with textmate. Some info about creating language here

Licensing part is interesting.

Sublime Text may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use. There is no enforced time limit for the evaluation.

post-3552-127715180472_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Swann

that looks pretty cool. :)

When you say 'VEX support' do you mean syntax highlighting for VEX?

This, code snippets and auto completion. Code snippets are eassier to implement, there is option in menu where you can add and edit snippet, but for auto comletion and highlighting you have to create XML file with specific format. I'm not familiar with XML enougth to make this now myself but I supose somebody with web application develope background (or overal creating advanced pages) should have no problems.

OK, there is one big advantage, it's writed in Python so you can easily create plugins.

VIm can also be compiled with python support, in fact, usually is compiled with that support, and this means a python interpreter in embeeded into vim.

You also have a vim module so you can run python inside vim and make it interact each together.

You have access to most of the features of vim via python.

If you search in google you will find lots of plugins for vim which are complitely python.

Probably just for python a native tool written in such langugae could have adventages, but only for python, VIM is much general and can be used for lots of different programing/scripting languages. I dont like to have an editor/IDE per language.

Guest Swann

VIM is much general and can be used for lots of different programing/scripting languages.

Sublime also :]. It comes with about 40 of already implemented dictionaries for most popular languages.

Guest Swann

There is a TextMate book from O'reilly that explains how to create you own languagae bundle (with syntax highlighting, snippets etc.). And Sublime uses TextMate bundles also so you bake two roasts at ones.

Oreilly