Fluid alpha query

Hi,

I'm exporting a fluid simulation from Houdini using a tracked camera from a match moved scene in Nuke.

The end result is a water fountain that is going to sit in a street scene in a Nuke comp.

I'm wondering though, how do I deal with water transparency? I've exported fluid sims from Houdini before, and I've always ended up with the water retaining a black background. Anything that's not behind the water is always fine and transparent where needed, but the water never seems to retain it's alpha properties.

Is there a way I can carry through this information in the render? I'm currently rendering through to Image Viewer, from then on does it make a difference which format I choose? I tend to go for Open EXR, TIFF or PNG.

Fingers crossed this makes sense.

Any help and advice would be fantastic, and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Chaz

Hi,

I'm exporting a fluid simulation from Houdini using a tracked camera from a match moved scene in Nuke.

The end result is a water fountain that is going to sit in a street scene in a Nuke comp.

I'm wondering though, how do I deal with water transparency? I've exported fluid sims from Houdini before, and I've always ended up with the water retaining a black background. Anything that's not behind the water is always fine and transparent where needed, but the water never seems to retain it's alpha properties.

Is there a way I can carry through this information in the render? I'm currently rendering through to Image Viewer, from then on does it make a difference which format I choose? I tend to go for Open EXR, TIFF or PNG.

Fingers crossed this makes sense.

Any help and advice would be fantastic, and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Chaz

if you are interested in physical correctness, i would recommend you build an approximation of your environment (even if it is just a card) and project your plate onto it (rendering with 'phantom' so the plate isn't in your cg). this results in a cg element just like any other element (solid white alpha) that should comp beautifully over your plate.

if you are interested in physical correctness, i would recommend you build an approximation of your environment (even if it is just a card) and project your plate onto it (rendering with 'phantom' so the plate isn't in your cg). this results in a cg element just like any other element (solid white alpha) that should comp beautifully over your plate.

Awesome, thanks for the tip amigo. I've actually no idea how I'd go about projecting my plate onto a card in Houdini. Is this to ensure that the refractions and reflections are all matching the final scene?