VOP POP particles following path

Arpita

Hi.

I am trying to create an effect where I have a set of particles following a curve and then leave the curve to form a teapot. I have made the particles follow the path using an attractor pop. And made the leaving particles form the teapot using the SDF volume of the teapot in the VOP POP.

- If you notice in the file, the particles seem to be going all over the place after the have become free from the curve and before they go towards the teapot. I used a drag separately for the 'free' particles. But it makes no difference. And I do not know any other way to tame the particles so they go smoothly towards the teapot.

- Also, when the particles form the teapot, they seem to gather in some points and form sharp cones. I have no idea why this is happening either or how to correct it.

These are my two main problems. Besides that, I would be very grateful if anybody has any other tips or suggestions to offer, to get the effect look nicer.

Thanks in advance

• Downvote 1

Hey Arpita, happy new year !

One thing was wrong: when the particles came out of the curve, they didn't end inside the SDF volume and therefore didn't know what to do. So I made the SDF size bigger so it includes the end of the curve.

Also, in the VOP POP I use the X position of the particles to drive a ramp from "almost" 0 to 1 so the transition between attractor and VOP POP is a bit smoother ( you might have to tweak the settings a bit so it's nicer )

have a look at the attatched file ( I coloured RED the modified bits )

OF_vop_pop2.hipnc

I'm not sure what you meant by "sharp cones" ...

hope that helps :D

Sorry the file attachment was unsuccessful in the previous post. Here is the file.

Thank you.

Hey Arpita, happy new year !

One thing was wrong: when the particles came out of the curve, they didn't end inside the SDF volume and therefore didn't know what to do. So I made the SDF size bigger so it includes the end of the curve.

Also, in the VOP POP I use the X position of the particles to drive a ramp from "almost" 0 to 1 so the transition between attractor and VOP POP is a bit smoother ( you might have to tweak the settings a bit so it's nicer )

have a look at the attatched file ( I coloured RED the modified bits )

OF_vop_pop2.hipnc

I'm not sure what you meant by "sharp cones" ...

hope that helps :D

Hey, thanks so much Julien! :) It works! I didn't think of the reference bounds for the iso offset. The fit VOP is interesting too. I am taking it further from there :)

Besides, I am also trying to get past something else. The particles, after they form the geometry, seem to be gathering in clusters and wobbling. I do not know what I should use to bring them to rest once all the particles are on the geometry, stop them from swimming. Something like the RBD Autofreeze.

I tried to use the velocity POP, multiplying $VX $VY $VZ * 0.6 or something like that to reduce their velocity over time. Was also thinking in lines of the rest VOP. I don't know if I'm thinking on the right lines cos they don't seem to be working. Still trying to think of other ways, but it would be great if I could get some help with that...

Thank you.

It's the "interact POP" the problem.

I just keyframed the "Force Multiplier" from 1 to 0 and it works :P

You could also use the age a the particles to drive the "force multiplier" ...

OF_vop_pop3.hipnc

Weeee it works! :D I've learnt new things today :) Going to try the other way too :)

Thanks so much Julien!!! :)