Maya TO Houdini - Known problems?

Richey

Hi there,

after over four years of working with Maya I want to switch to Houdini - I think it's the perfect alternative. But before I beg my boss to purchase it and use it for my 3d work I really would like to know from you if you can tell me some negative points / known bugs or problems of Houdini. Would be great if you can list me some ..... or is Houdini perfect? ;)

Thank you guys!

Richey.

You should download the apprentice edition and try it out. It is fully featured with negligible limitations if you are just learning the software.

Houdini is an amazing program and it gives you access to a lot of features that Maya hides from you and makes difficult to expose. It also has tons of tools and features that are not possible to do in Maya without a good amount of scripting and plug-in writing.

You will find that modeling in Houdini can be kind of akward and slow compared to Maya, but allows you a greater amount of control in the end.

If you want to learn the about the guts of 3d, there is no tool like Houdini to teach you.

Jason

You should download the apprentice edition and try it out.

Hi Jason,

I already did that. I'm learning Houdini for one week now and I'm totally impressed. But to find the negative sides of such a complex application it needs a lot of time I think, that's why I ask for .... So if you would say that the animation system and the the renderer of Houdini are totally buggy I maybe would think about switching to Houdini.

Hey Richey.

I find Mantra very stable and versatile and very well integrated into Houdini.. I think its a very good idea to figure out how mantra works because its the backend of any 3d-application and its so important to have a robust render pipeline.

The fact that it is so easy to export parameters to Mantra from Houdini, makes it very powerfull. At first glance it can seem intimidating that everything is so open. But in the longer run youll love that feature.

I am very happy about the time I have invested in Houdini.

Erik

Maya is far more bugged than Houdini is, just to let you know. :)

SideFX is constantly fixing bugs and updating while Autodesk will release service packs once in a while.

Houdini is also far more stable and less proned to crash, have a memory leak, or crash gfx drivers from what I have noticed.

Jason