Is there some kind of symetry op for modelling pol

Sorry, another XSI-esque question here.

I am doing human character modelling and am trying to figure out how I can get some kind of symetry working so I can ignore the second half of the model and focus on the first.

In XSI there is something called a symetry map. I can't seem to find this in Houdini, and the mirror and fuse ops combined don't properly work at some points, since fuse seems to over merge and mess up the mesh.

Surely there is a Houdini-esque solution to this problem?

you could try slapping on a TRANSFORM op and scale by -1 on the x-axis then turn on the template for the TRANSFORM tile. This only works if your model is either side of the y-axis. I've attached a file demonstrating this.

hope it helps,

shade.

Steven's solution (posted here: http://www.sidefx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1345 ) using the Mirror SOP is what you want.

What he didn't show is the technique of what if you wanted to move the middle points in the centre plane off centre? thekenny was asking about this just last night. Sometimes say in face modelling one half, you might want to move one of these points. The attached file shows a procedural way to automatically fix up these points along the middle. I even turned the setup into an OTL where it's a single node. You will need to dive down into the mirror_with_fix subnet to see what I did. Remember that the node names in blue mean that you can middle click on the icon to read the comments I put.

In the file, you can put points using the edit sop. Even if you move the middle points, the mirror works perfectly.

mirror_fix.zip