How to make fog effect?

Hi~guys

I'm going to make a fog effect, and i want to get this fog effect looks like real. but now i'm having a problem on how to convent particle "into" fog.

Has anyone have some tips for making fog effects? do i need write a VEX shader for this? i already have particle form.......

Many thinks.

post-4466-126794089536_thumb.jpg

Edited by CSN0309

For fog you have a few options.

• Copy metaballs to particles and apply a billowy smoke shader - check metaballs as volumes under your geometry nodes render tab
  • Same deal as above but use i3dgen to create a 3d texture. Look in the docs.
  • Create a rough shape that you want the fog to be in, then use an isooffset to create a fog volume. Modify the volume with some 4d curl noise(using time as the 4th value in the vector4) in a volume VOP.
  • Simulate smoke in DOPs
  • On top of all of this you can apply displacement to volumes to get more detail.

There is plenty of help on all of these if you use the search bar. ;)

Jason

• Like 1

Thank you mightcouldb1,

I have tried the first method, but i got this ruselt when i put metaballs as volumes, it that correct?post-4466-126798384521_thumb.jpg

And for the method three ".Create a rough shape that you want the fog to be in, then use an isooffset to create a fog volume. Modify the volume with some 4d curl noise(using time as the 4th value in the vector4) in a volume VOP" could you please explain more specific for this approach?

Thanks

Do you have a volumetric material assigned to your geometry node?

The second approach is exactly as I wrote it.

Make an object, isoOffset to output a fog volume, create a volume VOP, inside the volume VOP create a vector to vector4 VOP, make the input vector P and the last input Time, create a curl noise VOP, connect the vector4 to the position input of the curl noise, and finally multiply, subtract or add the output of the noise to the current density.

Thanks

Only volumecloud(SHOP) can make change to this "black box", otherwise i got no change.

For another method, it appears better, but i got a uglily bounding box, can i change that box to another shapes? post-4466-126802276408_thumb.jpg

Edited by CSN0309

• 3 weeks later...