wild card refresh

MrGAG

Hi everyone .

here is my problem : I have an objectMerge sop with : "/obj/null_*/point1" in the objpath parameter.

It works fine, and returns all the null objects called null_1, null_2 and so on.

But if I add a null object, and name it right. I have to bypass and unbypass the objectMerge node for it to consider the new null node.

Does anybody have a clue on how to go around that ?

Edited by MrGAG

I don't believe there is a way. When the node cooks the first time Houdini can build the dependencies to those two objects. However since it's already cooked and those dependencies aren't changing, without a recook to inform the node to add a dependency to the third node, there is no way for it to know that the third one exists. Moving one of the already dependent nulls will also cause a recook and the third null to be added, but that still requires changing something.

Submit the bug please to see if the Object Merge can be refreshed, but it is a tricky case, but there is a dependency...

If this is a common operation environment you are creating, you can add a specific tool that adds your null correctly named and runs a script that trolls for Object Merge SOPs with that specific object reference and update those nodes if you need to be careful, or just globally refresh all object type operators if the scenes are going to be fairly lightweight.