Alembic out

I've had that an issue with geometry with changing topology, in case where the object doesn't contain any geometry on the first frame of export range on Alembic Output node

so try to make sure your first frame of export range already contain some geo and see if it helps

There's no changing topology or anything like that. And it works fine with the ROP geo node. 

I've tried it with just a polygon sphere and I've messed with all the settings.

My suspicion is a license issue with Houdini Indie because I think this is what happens with apprentice you just get an empty file. 

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing anything too stupid or there was already a known issue.

Thanks though

There shouldn't be an issue with Indie, Alembic export should work just the same as with the full version.

Is it literally a 0-byte file, or does it have a non-zero size, but appears empty?  I've had issues exporting Alembic to Maya, as the exporter will take the visibiliy flag of whatever parent object the Alembic ROP is in, and use that to set the visibility of the export, so time and again I keep accidentally exporting Alembic objects that are flagged invisible, which Maya takes literally.

I'm guessing you don't mean that though :-)

(Edit: I just double checked - my Houdini Indie outputs Alembic correctly, so definitely not an issue with the license)

Edited by danw

Hehe, no problem.  It is a bit of an obscure one.  I really wish the Alembic ROP had a "treat all as visible" flag that was set by default.  Anyone who uses Houdini primarily just doesn't think in terms of "visible and not visible" when it comes to baking out geometry.  It's just data to us :-)