Move along normal / extude along normal

TheDunadan

Did some modeling today and a though I'm quite sure houdini has the tools, i couldn't find them:

When i do a polyextrude on faces or edges of a closed polygon model such as a sphere i can nicely translate them along their normals and every edge moves locally along its normal pretty much as I'd expect. However if I take a simple plane and extrude it's edges all edges move along the same direction and not along their normal. Ok a single edge has no normal really, yet it would be nice if those edges could 'burrow' the normal of the polyface they belong to or use the current camera / construction plane orientationvector as reference (like using the tangent of the edge if you'd project it into the construction plane).

I think such option would be desirable as well when doing editing with no previous polyextuding and a seperate modifier might be nice that allows this 'move locally along normal' thing.

Knowing I don't know much about Houdini yet, maybe it's all already built into and I just missed it in the help :huh: / couldn't find it.

Oh and a hotkey that moves the current pivot / handle into the middle of the current selection would be nice. At times it's really nice that it kinda constantly stays where it is... but yet when you have to move it manually it's not quite so nice. And I love the orientation picking :wub: ... gonna tease everyone who doesn't use Houdini with it :P

Jens

However if I take a simple plane and extrude it's edges all edges move along the same direction and not along their normal. Ok a single edge has no normal really,

14756[/snapback]

Hi Jens,

When extruding edges, I believe PolyExtrude uses the average of the two normals on each of its points. If you add point normals, (using a Facet SOP, for example), and then do a PolyExtrude, your edges should extrude as expected.

Hope that helps,

George.

Oh and a hotkey that moves the current pivot / handle into the middle of the current selection would be nice. At times it's really nice that it kinda constantly stays where it is... but yet when you have to move it manually it's not quite so nice. And I love the orientation picking  :wub: ... gonna tease everyone who doesn't use Houdini with it :P

14756[/snapback]

Depending on the handle, you can set it to Pivot mode & then select "Snap to Centroid" by RMB on the handle. Use the "Vulcan Death Grip" (Ctrl+Alt+Shift) & select the option to set up a hotkey.

Cheers!

steven

... And I love the orientation picking  :wub: ... gonna tease everyone who doesn't use Houdini with it :P

Jens

14756[/snapback]

hmm, orientation picking is one of the lamest parts of the

modeller; it should be automatic, as an option at least.

30-ops-per-second max-modelling habits tend to

fall over in houdini because of little things like this ...

or I could carefully plan what I'm going to do on paper

beforehand to minimize the poking around. but that's

crazytalk.

anyway all this kind of stuff has been requested before

in the betas so its wait and see I guess.

-cpb