Homebrew Python problem on Mac OSX

Instead of using Mac OSX's default python I have installed Homebrew and installed python within it. This allows me to isolate different python installations and add/remove modules easily without messing around with the system's python. However, Houdini doesn't like this and it won't launch when Python version 2.7.11 is installed using homebrew. I have tried to export system python path inside Houdini shell so that it is pointed to the system's default python however it still tries to access the homebrew python location and fails to launch Houdini. Does anyone know how to set Houdini's python environment variable correctly so that It searches for the system's default python instead of my custom installation location ?

Thanks in advance

I found that I had to remove the location of the homebrew Python binary from the $PATH environment variable. This way, Houdini uses the system Python instead of the homebrew version.

In my case, homebrew is installed in /usr/local, so my $PATH variable contains "/usr/local/bin" -- removing this from the value of $PATH allows me to run Houdini again.

You can check if the $PATH variable is set correctly using the "which" command: if "which python" returns the path of your homebrew installation, Houdini will try to use that and it will most likely not work. If, instead, it returns "/usr/bin/python", it should be good (for Houdini, that is).

I found that I had to remove the location of the homebrew Python binary from the $PATH environment variable. This way, Houdini uses the system Python instead of the homebrew version.

In my case, homebrew is installed in /usr/local, so my $PATH variable contains "/usr/local/bin" -- removing this from the value of $PATH allows me to run Houdini again.

You can check if the $PATH variable is set correctly using the "which" command: if "which python" returns the path of your homebrew installation, Houdini will try to use that and it will most likely not work. If, instead, it returns "/usr/bin/python", it should be good (for Houdini, that is).

Thank you for your quick response.

But when you do that, how do you use your homebrew python versions and modules, do they not cause any problems ?