Simulating a necklace, with hard pieces and string.

Hi all,

First, sorry if i missed something, but i made a search and didn't find anything related to my problem, neither here nor with google...
I'm sure i'm bad at searching, because it must be a common thing to do!
So here is my problem:

I'm looking for a good solution to make this necklace dynamic..! 
I was thinking bullet and wires, but (if it's a good solution) i wasn't able to find how to make the lace a wire, the pieces bullets, and all those things interacting...

Until now i have just made the string a wire, and attached the pieces to it with a copy node and some stamps to randomize it.
I've made the wire width equal to the width of the biggest pieces, so when it collide with itself it fakes a collision, which kind of works i guess, but i was wondering how to make it a realistic necklace...

So does anyone know where i should look, or perhaps tell me that i'm looking in the wrong direction and there is something much more simple?
Any kind of help or direction is really appreciated, as much appreciated as i am lost in fact!!

Thanks in advance!

necklace.jpg

Edited by kerguestenen

I think alot of it depends on what type of necklace this is. If the 'string' is actually metal you can get away with simming the necklace in chunks. What I mean by that is separatating the necklace in sections (necklace pieces and the wire in each section) and then constraining each section to each other. I have done that in the past and got some good results.

If the necklace is made of string, it may be a little more difficult. This is off the top of my head but, I think I would try the approach by doing the string as a wire and constraining the rbd (bullet) objects do them. I found this thread by doing a search and looks like a couple of examples in there have to do with attaching an rbd to a wire. Sounds like it could point you in the right direction!

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/15858-wire-simulation-in-combination-with-rbd-objects/

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Ryan, and thank you!

The link you gave me seems a bit difficult for my knowledge!!

"constrain points of the wire to rbd objects and then use sopsolver to read the internal force attribute in these points on wire and apply it as force to rbd objects"

Riiight..! Ahah.

Until now i did more or less what you said, about "doing the string as a wire and constraining the rbd (bullet) objects to them", and it's quite working, but i had to loose what i planed about the design, which was to have the pieces not so tight and having them of different size.

For know, they are tighten and roughly the same size, which is my wire collision width...
I guess i will go on with it the way it is, but i was wondering how to make it so it could collide wire/pieces, wire/wire and pieces/pieces in a same sim...

I hope to get to a point in a near future where i would be able to resolve this, and understand that quote here!! (i understood the logic, but that's all!).

Thanks again anyway!

testNecklace.mov