Color by height

Hi,

I am using a music file to change the height of a bunch of boxes and was wondering how to change the color of the box based on its height.

I just started learning houdini so I am not very well versed with complex shading techniques. I tried using an Attrib VOP with a ramp in it, but the ramp is coming horizontally.

Any assistance will be helpful.

thanks!

bank5.hipnc

This is a gotcha that's gotten me a few times. In the copy sop, you need to go to the Attributes tab and check "Use Template Point Attributes" which passes your height attribute through to you attribute VOP where you have effectively mapped it to your color ramp. I also brought your "height" attribute into the attribute VOP with a param node.

Cheers,

Ewan

bank5_airship.hipnc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airship said:

This is a gotcha that's gotten me a few times. In the copy sop, you need to go to the Attributes tab and check "Use Template Point Attributes" which passes your height attribute through to you attribute VOP where you have effectively mapped it to your color ramp. I also brought your "height" attribute into the attribute VOP with a param node.

Cheers,

Ewan

bank5_airship.hipnc

thanks! this works great :)