Orienting Copy within For-Loop

mikenon

Ive been banging my head against this for a few hours. I am building a set of S-shaped fence pickets within a for-loop. I would like to orient each picket to be aligned with the tangent of the curve path. The problem is that the picket itself is built within the for-loop so that each picket can be customized. So I need to orient the pickets after they have been built. I will eventually need to make some fairly complicated customizations for each picket instance, so I don't want to get rid of the structure of building the picket within the for-loop. 

I have gotten as far as storing the tangent of the curve path (tangentu) and the x,z coordinate of each picket's pivot point (pcx,pcz). But I cannot figure how to use that information to rotate each picket around the pivot so that it is aligned with the curve. Or maybe there is a simpler way? HIPNC file attached.

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 2.21.33 PM.png

exp2.hipnc

Well, I solved my own problem. For anyone curious, the key was using the stored pcx, pcz and tangentu attributes. A little attribute point wrangle did the trick:

float angleT = -$PI/2 + atan(v@tangentu.x,v@tangentu.z);
vector pivot = set(@pcx,@P.y,@pcz);
float dist = distance(@P,pivot);
float r = atan(@P.x-pivot.x,@P.z-pivot.z);

@P.x = pivot.x + dist*sin(r+angleT);
@P.z = pivot.z + dist*cos(r+angleT);

• Like 1