Rotating 2 Lines to meet at end points?

galagast

Hi, how do I rotate two lines to connect their endpoints without changing the lengths in VEX?

meet_two_lines.png

So far, I was able to somewhat get what I was after using other methods in SOPs. I'm curious if there's a way to do it in VEX/VOPs. Even just calculating the required angle of rotation.

I've attached a sample scene below.

meet_rotate_keep_length.hiplc

think of it as 2 circles, each with center point 0 and radius = distance 0 to 1
calculate the intersection points and for both point 1 set their new coordinates to that point

note: you will get 2 intersection points, just disregard the one you don't want to have

Thanks 3dome. On my sample scene above, I did a similar approach:
meet_two_lines_ss.png

1. I created 2 circles centered at points 0 for both lines.
  2. Each circle also had a radius equal to the length of each line.
  3. I then used a boolean SOP to get the intersection and consequently, the point that I was after.
  4. Lastly, I calculated the angles from there using VEX for rotating the lines.

It works great, but I'm more after looking for ways to do all of those using VEX. I will dive more into the docs and see if I missed a function that I could use to calculate this :)

Edited by galagast

• 1 month later...

c is just the hypotenuse of the triangle formed between the center points. dist1 (or one could say "a". was kinda late when i wrote the code..:D) is x2 - x1, dist2 (or "b") is y2 - y1.

so a^2 + b^2 = c^2

c = sqrt(a^2 + b^2)

this can help http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Circle-CircleIntersection.html their "d" is more or less my "c"

Edited by 3dome