Workstation Build

samsin

I know there are other communities around that offer build advice, but this is my first time building a workstation and I was hoping to get some insight on what I have so far:

https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/hAP

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230 V5
Mobo: MSI C236A Workstation Motherboard
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Armor OC 8GB
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury HX421C14FBK2/32 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Black
PSU: SilverStone SFX Gold 600W SX600-G
HD: Intel 600P Series 256GB M.2 SSD

I'm trying to keep it under $2000aud and it will primarily be used for Houdini and some VR development down the road. I've read conflicting things about Xeon vs i7 so I was wondering if anyone had advice regarding which performs better as a workstation. Also the 'workstation' motherboard I've chosen is apparently optimized for Xeons, so I assume if I were choose an i7 I would also pick another mobo (unless there are other benefits to a workstation motherboard that I have overlooked). Within a few months I plan to upgrade to 64gb RAM too and I'm using HDDs I already own for additional storage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Hey Samsin,

I would spent less money on a motherboard and invest more into lots of fast storage. Xeon's in general are build for servers, which means they are somehow better for an "always on" system. Besides, they don't have a build in gpu like the i7 processors have. 
I dont know, when youre planning on building a system that has to handle days of continouos rendering, I would go with a xeon + ecc ram solution. (ecc ram is build for servers as well)

But if youre not planning on doing highend renders which may take days or weeks, I would consider a combination of a  Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H  +  Intel Core i7-7700  + 64GB DDR4 + gtx 1070 + a hell lot of pretty fast storage :D

I personaly have a 16 core 32 thread dual xeon system, 'cause I do lots of huge simulations and long sequence rendering.. it depends on what you are up to with houdini.