How to get highest resolution image render

Bakiki

Ok, the title appears obvious but my question is that I have found that when I render a still above 1920  1080 the picture won't display properly in a standard display application like windows picture viewer. I understand that those other camera options like 2K or 4K resolution are for video format... So my question is, I have HD images that fit standard display in these applications but the pixel resolution is over 3000. How can create images that are of the highest definition but can be viewed in the standard ways. Maybe I'm confusiing 1920 1080 with pixel resolution or I'm I?

Thanks for your help..

Edited by Bakiki

44 minutes ago, marty said:

Not sure what the issue is; a pixel is a pixel. 'Video format/HD/2K/4K' are all just labels for standards.

In a nut shell. Can I render pictures above 1920 1080 that will display properly in a standard picture viewer?

On a Mac the Preview and Quicklook will scale the image to easily fit the monitor; I'm assuming the windows picture viewer doesn't? Sounds like you are after a viewer that either scales an image automatically or supports DPI metadata.  Haven't seen an option in Houdini to set DPI as that's only for print.

Edited by tar

14 hours ago, marty said:

On a Mac the Preview and Quicklook will scale the image to easily fit the monitor; I'm assuming the windows picture viewer doesn't? Sounds like you are after a viewer that either scales an image automatically or supports DPI metadata.  Haven't seen an option in Houdini to set DPI as that's only for print.

These 2 images might explain the issue better than I currently have. The first image shows me saving a 4K render.The second image shows resulting image in the standard windows image viewer...?

1.png

2.png

Edited by Bakiki