Welcome to od|forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cgpetey

Pre-Roll Pyro Sim

Sorry if this has been answered before....

I have a fire anim that I want to start on frame 1 but I want the flame to be already built up like it would be on frame 25. So it starts at its peak and then plays through my 58 frame anim. I looked at the Rest Field in the solver because it had some things that sounded like they might work when I ticked 'enable rest'. I thought Frame Offset could work but I couldnt figure it out.

thanks!

Cache with an extra 25 frames (from F25 to F83) then timeshift the cache post sim. After your file node that reads the cache from disk, add a Timeshift with an expression in the Frame parameter set to $FF+25. 

Joe's solution should work assuming your fire source isn't animated and you're not interacting with anything animated throughout the sim. 

Your easiest option is to set your dop start frame to a negative number, like -24, to get your preroll.

Another route would be to save out .sim files until you get a fire look that you like, and then you can use that sim file as your "Initial State" for your dop network.