Flip displacement (soooo long)

Hello, 

I have a flip mesh with 2Millions polygons and I want to add an ocean spectrum to it in displacement.

But why it takes like 20 mins to "create the displacement geometrie" and take 13Go of RAM in mantra ??

It's not really easy to tweak the shader with this time of preparation ....

I'm beginner with mantra, Arnold is much faster to do this, so I think I'm doing something bad ... 

(I use the spectrum and the ocean surface shader from houdini 16)

Someone can help me ?

Thank you ! :):) 

PS: sorry for my English :(

The resolution of your grid does not change the resolution of the render time displacement. Only texture maps define resolution.

You could use the shader on a grid that has only 4 points, and will render same quality as 2 million.

The only difference is rendering with motion blur. Mantra needs enough points with v attribute to calculate motion blur.

So loading 2 million points is heavy and useless. Just have enough points to get accurate motion blur or use 4 point grid if your not using motion blur.

Edit: sorry, you are working with flip mesh and i thought only ocean grid, so this is not a solution

Edited by Yon Anadeyo

Hey,
If the object has "Render polygons as subdivision (mantra)" selected, your generation time will be very long.
I have found that specifically with the flattank setup, leaving that unchecked significantly speeds up the generation of displaced geo and looks pretty much identical.

Hope this helps,
Matt.

Thanks for your answers.

The "Render polygons as subdivision (mantra)" box is unchecked on my objects.

My flip mesh is about 2Millions polygons.

Maybe It's just normal for mantra, but to tweak shading and lighting it's a bit tricky ...