FLIP fluid follow animated geo surface

ncm

Hello all

I need a fluid to follow the surface of an animated "ribbon" (just a plane path deformed on to a helix curve with a large animated noise deformation applied to it). I don't believe I can use a curve force because I want the fluid to maintain the flat shape of the ribbon as much as possible along its course. I've attempted to use the "VOP POP/velocities from normals" solution shown at the beginning of the tutorial here (thanks Atom!) but that seems to have no effect on my fluid. The only thing that's giving me any sort of result is turning my geo normals to velocites, moving those to a volume, then applying those to my flipsolver ("sourcevolume" node inputting to the volume velocity input of the "flipsolver" node). The problem with that is the particles follow the ribbon but when the ribbon moves its velocities move with it and leave a bunch of particles behind and they just stop. They start moving again when the ribbon velocities move back through them. I am looking for a setup that more closely sticks to my ribbon whilst maintaining lovely fluid type properties. 

I've attached an example scene and the alembic file it references. I very much appreciate an help you guys might be able to provide. I'm a Houdini noob and I'm sure there's some fairly basic stuff I'm messing up here.

Nate

FLIP_Ribbon.zip