Hair: "helmet hair" and scalp penetration

guache

Two questions about hair:

1) I'm trying to get a "helmet hair" look, i.e. a hairdo that has been "pushed" closer to the scalp. I can always modify the guide curves by manipulating them as SOP curves, but I'm wondering if there's an dedicated groom (either tool or process) that would push an existing hairdo closer to the scalp. Or should I perhaps start with guide hairs that are already near-tangent to the scalp and try to create the "helmet hair" look from there?

2) While working on the problem above, I often get hair penetrating the scalp. Is there any setting in the groom tools that would force hair to always stay outside of the scalp (without doing simulations)?

get the normals of the curve points to point along the curve (you might need to reverse if they are pointing to the tips,  you want them to look at the root of the hair.) now you can:

1 group the root point

2 move/displace along the normal (there is even a sop node for that i just forgot the name)