Jitter based on age

Hey all:

I have a particle simulation with particles shooting outward from the origin. I am using the particle replicate to emit particles from particles. Here is the problem, I want the particles close together at the top but further away toward the bottom like the photos shown below.

My Idea was to do a point jitter based of the age of the particle, so that new particles will have no jitter while old particles will have jitter. Would it be possible to accomplish that using vex in an attribute wrangle? Or could it been done in a point VOP with a slider to adjust jitter by

age? Or is there a better way to have the older particles move out further outward?

than using point jitter?

shape.PNG

explosion001.hipnc

shape2.PNG

Hey ejr32123,

It is certainly possible to do that with a wrangle or a point vop, but I'd rather suggest doing it in DOPs instead to give a more dynamic effect.

Simply drop a Pop Force node after your particle source. Adjusting the amplitude will change the amount of noise that is introduced to the particles. By default this is uniform across the particles. Check the use vexpressions box at the bottom, and a vex box will pop up. You can use something similar to the following to get your desired effect:

amp = @nage;

This will set the amplitude to the normalized age of the particles. I chose @nage over @age as it's simpler to get the effect you're looking for with the normalized 0-1 of @nage. Also you'll note that in the vex box in dops for effecting channels you don't use an @, but just the channel name instead.

1 hour ago, coltonmil said:

Hey ejr32123,

It is certainly possible to do that with a wrangle or a point vop, but I'd rather suggest doing it in DOPs instead to give a more dynamic effect.

Simply drop a Pop Force node after your particle source. Adjusting the amplitude will change the amount of noise that is introduced to the particles. By default this is uniform across the particles. Check the use vexpressions box at the bottom, and a vex box will pop up. You can use something similar to the following to get your desired effect:

amp = @nage;

This will set the amplitude to the normalized age of the particles. I chose @nage over @age as it's simpler to get the effect you're looking for with the normalized 0-1 of @nage. Also you'll note that in the vex box in dops for effecting channels you don't use an @, but just the channel name instead.

That is what I initially did, I did not like how the it was looking : (

I did get something decent looking tho : )

ex.PNG

Edited by ejr32123