Convert to RAT Shelf Tool

mandelbrot

Hey guys, I've been working on a self-contained toolset (https://github.com/sashaouellet/SDMTools) that I just recently updated with a new shelf tool that I think will prove useful for a lot of people: Convert to RAT.

The tool converts every referenced file to .rat, with an option to specify a maximum resolution of the output. Doing this conversion pre-render is a way to optimize, especially if you have a lot of 2K+ maps in your scene. The toolset contains some other tools as well, 1 of which is in very early alpha. You can check those out as well if you want :)

Documentation on installation: https://github.com/sashaouellet/SDMTools/wiki/Installation

Once installed, you can check for new updates via the newly installed SDMTools submenu. Any new releases ahead of what you have installed will be shown to you upon which you can auto-download/install the new release directly from within Houdini!

Any feedback is always welcome. Thanks for taking a look :)

Hi,

Good luck with your toolset!

I've written a RAT converters a few times over the years, and I'll make just one suggestion -- using the multiprocessing module and perform 5-10 conversions simultaneously in a multiprocessing pool. Super easy to add and improves the turnaround time immensely.

49 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hi,

Good luck with your toolset!

I've written a RAT converters a few times over the years, and I'll make just one suggestion -- using the multiprocessing module and perform 5-10 conversions simultaneously in a multiprocessing pool. Super easy to add and improves the turnaround time immensely.

Hey that's a good idea! Thanks for the tip :)