Pyro Collisions

evanrudefx

Hi,

I am dealing with some pyro collision problems. I have an explosion that is penetrating the roof collision shape. Part of the trouble is that the collision is fairly thin and the pyro sim is moving fast. I can make the collisions perfect by setting the substeps to a ridiculously high number, such as 10. What is a better way to deal with my problem other than high substeps? As you can see, most of the fire is colliding, but some seems to seep through.

Thanks

collide.PNG

Edited by ejr32123

For a fast explosion and thin collisions 10 substeps is actually not super crazy. It'll really be the only way you can get accurate collisions at that level. You can set the max substeps and play with the CFL so it's only doing the full 10 substeps at the beginning of the sim where it needs the detail.

If you're looking for a dirty trick, you could make your roof much thicker in the +Y direction for the first couple frames of the explosion, and as the fire ball begins to slow as it breaches the roof, start to scale it back to normal. This may cause some strangeness in the smaller pieces, and negatively effect the way the fireball would wrap around the roof as it blows outwards.

2 hours ago, coltonmil said:

For a fast explosion and thin collisions 10 substeps is actually not super crazy. It'll really be the only way you can get accurate collisions at that level. You can set the max substeps and play with the CFL so it's only doing the full 10 substeps at the beginning of the sim where it needs the detail.

If you're looking for a dirty trick, you could make your roof much thicker in the +Y direction for the first couple frames of the explosion, and as the fire ball begins to slow as it breaches the roof, start to scale it back to normal. This may cause some strangeness in the smaller pieces, and negatively effect the way the fireball would wrap around the roof as it blows outwards.

Thanks : ) I never knew what the CFL condition was for until now.

Edited by ejr32123