wrangle nodes pragma?

bunker

you can define UI by code like

@myparm = ch("mychannel");

this will reference a float channel named "mychannel". the slider value will be then picked as an input value for associated parameter "myparm"

referenced channels are created by clicking on "Create spare parameters for each unique call" (located by the right side of the vex editor window).

for other kinds of UI you can use functions chramp (for ramps), chi (for integer channel), etc...

I meant for more advanced UI definition, eg: setting the default values of parameters, min/max ranges, name of parameters in the UI,... 
something like pragmas, but the wangle equivalent, if that exists:

#pragma range seed    0 10
#pragma label amp    "Noise Amplitude"
#pragma hint __nondiffuse toggle // Define as a toggle button

...but typically you can do everything you need via Edit Parameter Interface dialog and saving node presets. pragmas are used mostly when you're writing shaders or that kind of low level stuff.

If you look at 

$HFS/houdini/python2.7libs/vexpressionmenu.py

This is the the script they use to build the parameters by calling 

vexpressionmenu.buildSnippetMenu('attribwrangle/snippet')

It might be possible to expand on their code to fit your needs, or submit an RFE for more capabilities to be added to this function beyond channel data type detection.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I hope it may help you. The initial idea is from here, Matt Estela.

I tried to make the python scripts as clean as possible, but I have to say I am python beginner. So let me know if you get any errors, I will try to fix them asap.

It would be really easy for SESI to implement something like this, but maybe the biggest problem is to agree on the markup system, on the conventions and rules.

• 7 months later...