Aligninig Primitives To Other Prmitive Normals

lisux

You can align one object with another by using the copy SOP with rotate to Template Normal enabled. If you want to align to a particular location and normal taken from another object you can use point expressions placed on an Add SOP and Point SOP. I'll see if I can upload a hip to demonstrate.

align.hip

Forgot to add that you can use the prim expression to align to primitive normals in the same way that you align to point normals. Use something like this in the three normals parameters of your point SOP that adds the normal to your location point:

prim("../xform1",186,"N",0)

prim("../xform1",186,"N",1)

prim("../xform1",186,"N",2)

Forgot to add that you can use the prim expression to align to primitive normals in the same way that you align to point normals.  Use something like this in the three normals parameters of your point SOP that adds the normal to your location point:

prim("../xform1",186,"N",0)

prim("../xform1",186,"N",1)

prim("../xform1",186,"N",2)

24510[/snapback]

Thanks grasshopper.

I am looking for a more interactive solution, for example align a handler to a primitive and then move around aligned to it.

Maybe your solution could be put into an HDA with the needed handlers.

If you go to Sidefx exchange there are at least a couple of assets that do this already.

24531[/snapback]

Thanks Simon

I have just tested you Orient SOP, and is really nice.

I have just added a comment about how to select the prim for A and B from the viewport, putting the numbers into the parameters fields is not so intuitive for a modeler.

But anyway thanks, it do the job!