car debris?

Hi,

I need to sim debris for a car jumping off a cliff (then it lands on the ground). I am wondering: would it be easier to do it using RBDs or POPS? I think POPs are easier, but somehow limited when it comes to bouncing off the ground (not sure!?) and shape collision (just particle radius is used and not the actual geo). On the other hand, RBDs are more generic and accurate but I think they might be difficult to control (i.e. explosive animation, too much rotation,...). 

What do you guys think: RBDs or POPs? 

Another question: does any one have a good reference for such a shot?

Thanks

Personally I'd say POPs is the way to go! Have an RBD sim for the big sections and then use POPs for all the small debris, sourcing them from the fractures. You can always add variance to the way the POPs move, and using RBDs could cause issues when you're dealing with such small pieces.

As for reference, there are tons of crash-test videos on youtube like this one, where car companies test how their cars react hitting into a wall at high speed. Lots of slow-mo shots too, which would be great reference I'm sure!

I also remember this really cool R&D video I found for metal bending (not really reference, I know, but might give ideas nonetheless!):

• Like 1

Thanks! I like your idea of mixing pops and rbds! actually some parts will be rolling on the ground, to it would be easier to use rbds, but some will be just flying around so pops would be good for them. Actually the car is not crashing, it lands and keeps going, I am sure I have seen this kind of shot before in actions movies, but I don't remember any :)... Anyways, thanks for your ideas/feedback :)