Water ripples

cs00bren

hello they in my scene i want a close up of a puddle with water ripples on it due to rain i've try using a poiont sop on a grid and in it's Y position added a channel with "ch("./DecaySpare")*sin(sqrt(($BBX-0.5)^2+($BBZ-0.5)^2)*720+$F*4)" as it's equation i got this from the help file and added a decay channel the only problem is i want around 10 ripples at random places.

i tryed edit and group in between the grid and point but it doesn't change it any suggestions.

well, first you'd have to understand what different things in the equation mean:

the $BBX-0.5 and $BBZ-0.5 means the ripples are centered around the middle of the grid...you can chnage the .5 to move the center around, or even use $TX- and $TZ- to place it in world space....

-the 720 multiplier controls how many oscillations you have per set of ripples, the 4*$F tells them how fast to travel (get it? multiplier...time...)

and then the sine is what's causing the oscillations so you see that you'd need one sine expression per ripple (yea, the whole thing....) while varying the center.....

cool if you want a few (ie: NOT a lot) of ripples happening....but if it's a major storm you want...well, I'd try to find another way.... :)

cheers...

I always wanted to try this, but never have...

Maybe you will.

have particles birth on your grid, and have their life be really short. copy magnets onto them and have them displace the grid down.

THEN,

import that geometry into chops, and apply a spring chop.

I bet it could give some cool effects.

Cheers,

Jens