How to work on the output of the pieces of a dynamic fracture?

Flanker15

I'm very new to the RBD side of houdini and I'm currently trying to complete an experiment to help learn more about it.

I want to run a geometry through a "voronoi fracture configure" to create a dynamic fracture (this i can do fine) then take the resulting simobjects and run them through other DOPs depending on their individual attributes. 

For example I thought a good test to start with would be to dynamic fracture a geometry with a single fracture pass; then, iterate over the pieces and dynamic fracture only the pieces that are above a certain size and with different parameter settings on the voronoi fracture configure dop.

I feel like it should be easy as the DOP puts out simobject pieces with nice numbered names but I haven't figured it out.

I can do what I want with repeated random prefracturing outside the dop network easily but that loses the dynamic element.

Knowing this will definitely help with working with any sim output in future too.

• 9 months later...

I'm getting stuck with similar problem. In my case I don't pretend to make additional DOPs but I need to deal with the "new pieces" in SOPs. I would like to unwrap the inside uv of the generated packed geo right after its creation.

My first fail approch was trying to unwrap the inside group after the DOP I/O but with this I get UV updated every single frame, I would need to just unwrap once each new generated piece.

inside_uv_unwrap_wrong.gif.6d2a66e135921e787613983f1aad4637.gif

There's a second problem, if I use "recursive" fracture by increasing the Maximum Fractures under the configure fractrue, I miss unwrapping the secondary ones since the old "inside part" becomes an "outside one".

inside_uv_unwrap_recursive_wrong.gif.69b6f413dafc6d3a08363c95237d0702.gif

I would like to manage this setup using the fracture solver (not pre fracturing geo) and using material style sheets in order to deal with all this packed geometry. Since I'm also trying for the first time the Quixel plugin, I'd like to make it happen with quixel megascans objects and materials.

Anywhere to start looking into this? I would like to learn more about material stylesheets and packed primitives and I think this is a good example.