Help With Vops Sop

mattd

I am trying to understand the implemetation of the VOPS SOP. The docs state that it can maniupulate points - so is it able to create points - or only change them. specifically, I am looking to subdivide a primitive edge and place the new points into a group. I have a somewhat sloppy method done it SOPS, but I am thinking that there may be a way to do this using VOPS.

I am unclear on how you acces primitives in VOPs if that is even possible without using a nneighbor function?

Second question, are VOPS a subset of VEX? do I need to use the inline code to access all of the VEX functions, or are they all represented in the VOPS GUI somewhere?

Third question - any examples of VOPS SOPS out there? I am trying to understand the for loops and etcetera and there is little in the docs examples.

Thanks

MD

Hi Matt,

1. You can only manipulate points, not primitives, with VEX. This means you can't access primitives. To create geometry, you need the HDK.

I think you might have to stick with the sloppy method. Or post a simple file for us to look at.

2. You do need the inline code to access some of the functions that are not in VOPs.

As for examples, you have to search through SESI's forum and exchange plus odforce. I used to have a for loop example but can't find it now. I'll see if I can set one up again.

Good luck!

Cheers!

steven

I am trying to understand the implemetation of the VOPS SOP. The docs state that it can maniupulate points - so is it able to create points - or only change them. specifically, I am looking to subdivide a primitive edge and place the new points into a group. I have a somewhat sloppy method done it SOPS, but I am thinking that there may be a way to do this using VOPS.

you cannot delete or add points in vops, to do that you'll have to either find a way in sops or

go to the hdk.

I am unclear on how you acces primitives in VOPs if that is even possible without using a nneighbor function?

vops is essentially limited to operations on points.

Second question, are VOPS a subset of VEX?

yes vops are basically a visual means of genreating vex code.

do I need to use the inline code to access all of the VEX functions, or are they all represented in the VOPS GUI somewhere?

A large number of vex functions are represented as vop nodes. There are, however, certain functions missing, in order to use these functions you'll need to use inline.

Third question - any examples of VOPS SOPS out there? I am trying to understand the for loops and etcetera and there is little in the docs examples.

I did a presentation on point clouds over at sidefx, I uploaded my files from the

presentation here:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...pper&Itemid=146

you should be able to find examples of for loops and if statements there.

I will caution you, making for loops and if statements in vops is really awkward (painful actually).

If I'm ever doing something that requires looping or lots of if statements, I use

vex.

let me know if you have further questions

Luca