Bird Wing Animation Rig

zoki

Hi

does anyone have any experience rigging a birds wing so it folds nicely and all the wings fold properly?

I have odf from stuart little and is very good but I have problems doing the same in Houdini?

z

We did some of that stuff for Disney's "The Wild" (when I was at CORE)... it was rather difficult, we tried a few different approaches and wound up just setting a skeleton pose manually and blending the bones rotations and goals into the pose position... If I recall correctly, we still had to do a good amount of corrective work on top of that (smoothing skin problems, mashing feathers around until they fit nicely). We studied the Stuart Little stuff as well but I don't think we used all that much from it... the anatomical placement of your wing bones will be pretty important though.

-JS-

the smashing of feathers was for a different reason.. i won't go into.

what you will have to do is a number of blendshapes to help put your wings from a flight position to a tucked on the body position.

like jason said your bone positions is important but it also depends on how you are doing your feathers.

-k

We did some of that stuff for Disney's "The Wild" (when I was at CORE)... it was rather difficult, we tried a few different approaches and wound up just setting a skeleton pose manually and blending the bones rotations and goals into the pose position... If I recall correctly, we still had to do a good amount of corrective work on top of that (smoothing skin problems, mashing feathers around until they fit nicely). We studied the Stuart Little stuff as well but I don't think we used all that much from it... the anatomical placement of your wing bones will be pretty important though.

-JS-

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

thank you for replies!

I know that is a difficult one :(

I will think about what you guys said,but it seems it wont go without later cleanup and tweaking

here

http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6355

they said it was a nightmare-but it looks perfect

ok back to work

z

Yeah I'll bet they killed themselves doing the wings on that twink... "custom code" in Maya no less (picturing a ring binder full of mel scripts)... <shudder>

I've still got it on my to-do list, to try and come up with a bird-wing rig that can fold up reasonably well...there's gotta be a way to do it somehwat elegantly, with a few clever rigging tricks and not a mess of blendshapes and junk... maybe starting with a simplified bat-wing concept first, just skin and avoid the stacking of the feathers for now...