Renderman Passes From Houdini

Hello Wizardom !

Well, This is a topic that has puzzled me for some time now: How to sett up Renderman passes from Houdini?

I have tried many things and I think I have the basic idea right, but I would be grateful If someone can direct my efforts in the right direction, please:

1- I know you would use the AUX FILES tab to create each output file IE: specular.tiff, ambient.tiff etc.

2- My main question is how you export the variables from your shaders ???

3- How you link up your exported variables from shaders to the render output AUX FIles tab ?

Can anyone help, please... Do you know of a tutorial that deals with this ?

Thank you.

Mauricio.

Edited by arctor

Hi ..Me again.. let me add..

The variable list in the AUX FILES has : Cs Os Ci Oi N P s t .....etc..... and all the usual suspects...

so...what variable would you use for a specular pass? CS ?

what about a diffuse pass? Cs too..? what about Ambient Pass ? Cs

Waht about an alpha pass ( or a (matte) for compositing an object with others or a background.....OS ?

A tutorial about setting this up would be very helpful, as I have not found anything on the net....

Well...

Thanks for your help.

Hello King Tapir...

Thank you for your reply... I had a look at the link you posted, but it deals with render passes from MANTRA, not renderman.

I will have a look at the parameter VOP / exporter parameter toggle. That seems a closer answer.

Now I was awaken this morning by a sudden realization, that I will try later (tell me how it sounds to you, please):

1- recompile the SL shader adding Arbitrary Output variable for Specualr , difusse, reflection , alpha, etc.

2- once the shader has this recognisible variables, they can be pointed to from the Renderman ROP, in the AUX FILES tab.

What about that?

PS: Just by chance, do you know professor Malcom Kesson? from the Savannah School ? , he kindly got for me an answer to this question from an ex-student of his that is at DD. ( if is you that would be a weird coincidence !!!)

Mauricio.

...What about that?

Yup, exactly. The mechanism for this is almost identical in Renderman as it is in Mantra. The whole tutorial translates over to Renderman very well.

PS: Just by chance, do you know professor Malcom Kesson? from the Savannah School ? , he kindly got for me an answer to this question from an ex-student of his that is at DD. ( if is you that would be a weird coincidence !!!)

I don't know Prof. Kesson, sorry. Study at Savannah I didn't.

Good luck with your project.

Jason