Command Line

Hi all,

Someday I hope to be able to provide more answers than questions, but until then, I having trouble understanding the commandline setup. I am on windows, so I belive I need to be running csh to use hrender?

Basically, I need to get a render going from a DOS commandline with a specific start and end frame. i am trying to use houdini with our renderfarm software , Muster. Mainly at this point I just want some simple queueing capability due to my memory issues I mention in another post.

Can someone clue me into the steps to take on windows. The wiki is fairly linux-centric when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Thanks,

MD

update:

I think what I need is a way to pipe a command into hscript (hscript "render etc,etc") , thus getting around the csh. or, a way to do something like csh < "hrender etc,etc"

I cannot create a .cmd file with the right settings from dos at this point.

I guess what I am looking for is the correct syntax of something like this:

csh -b "hrender -e -f 20 25 /out/geometry1 \\server\job\myfile.hip"

or to use hscript:

hscript "render -f 20 25 /out/geometry1" \\server\job\myfile.hip

obviously I made these two up, since I am unable to get it to work. I really hate the DOS shell.

it has to originate from from the dos shell, I realize that I could get this to all work from a cshell, perhaps even the cygwin, and it would be great if my farm ran linux, but it doesn't.

the other option is to generate cmd files that gets sent to hscript, but I want to try to avoid that if there is an easier way. I'll need to dust off my perl book to output files like that, or maybe something in hscript....might be easer to deal with in production.

one other thing - there is no help on the csh that comes with houdini - am I missing a command switch that lets me pipe in a command? anyone know where that csh came from?

MD

In a word, yes. It's not that hard to call $HB/csh.exe to run hrender. You don't need to necessarily run hcmd.exe (aka Command Line Tools) just to run hscript as long as you have the HFS environment variable set up correctly.