Mass Output To Individual .obj Files

johann

Sorry if this might be an obvious question, but I can't figure this one out.

We built a great number of racetracks (houdini is so nice for that) which should be exported to obj for max/maya.

Until now, I merged all variants and saved the geometry to obj and exploded the file in maya.

However, I now need to output all the variants (about 100) to single files, which should be neatly named, too. I guess this must work but I can't see how... I know of the Geometry ROP, but it outputs only .geo and one per frame, like a render.

Is there a controlled way of saving to different formats without "save geometry"?

Or is there a tool to batch-convert .geo files?

Thanks a lot!

Johann

AT the SOP level you can right click on your last SOP and click on the arrow you will have the list of format you can save.

I will try again....

AT the SOP level you can right click on your last SOP,

Save Geometry....

and click on the arrow on the right you will have the list of format you can save as.

AT the SOP level you can right click on your last SOP and click on the arrow you will have the list of format you can save.

I will try again....

AT the SOP level you can right click on your last SOP,

Save Geometry....

and click on the arrow on the right you will have the list of format you can save as.

That's right, but I do not want to click on "save geometry" 200 times each time I modify a setting.

I need to automatically generate and name .obj files.

Thanks again

Johann

Sorry if this might be an obvious question, but I can't figure this one out.

We built a great number of racetracks (houdini is so nice for that) which should be exported to obj for max/maya.

Until now, I merged all variants and saved the geometry to obj and exploded the file in maya.

However, I now need to output all the variants (about 100) to single files, which should be neatly named, too. I guess this must work but I can't see how... I know of the Geometry ROP, but it outputs only .geo and one per frame, like a render.

Is there a controlled way of saving to different formats without "save geometry"?

Or is there a tool to batch-convert .geo files?

Thanks a lot!

Johann

To partly answer myself: One can enter the suffix .obj in the geometry ROP, although the manual states "The file to save the geometry to (should end in .geo or .bgeo) (...)", and Houdini will indeed write out valid .obj files. I will now try to pass the names of some operators per frame to the geometry ROP to have the files properly named... I still do not know if this is the most convenient way to go.

Johann

However, I now need to output all the variants (about 100) to single files, which should be neatly named, too.

As you've guessed, the easiest way by far is to cook each variation at a different frame. Then you could put an expression in the filename of your ROP Output Driver that is based off of $F.

As you've guessed, the easiest way by far is to cook each variation at a different frame. Then you could put an expression in the filename of your ROP Output Driver that is based off of $F.

Thanks so much. Im doing exactly this, and it does work for individual sequentially numbered files. I have a switch attached to a rop_geometry, and all the inputs into the switch are named correcty. I want to use those names as the output files. Unfortunately I am stuck with accessing the switches' input nodes names from the geometry rop. I am quite new to Houdini, and the manual has the following to say about the switch (to test for an error): if (strmatch("*Error:*", run("opinfo " + opfullpath("../" + opinput(".", 0)))), 0, 1) - now I wonder if I could use "opinput("/path/to/switch", $F) to generate the name of the corresponding switch input inside the rop_geometry, but this is taken literally and generates no output. I have no problem accessing channels and the like, but I do not know how to query an input's name.

Thanks for you help so far, and maybe you have some additional suggestions?

All the best

Johann