Instancing To Particles, With The Instance Being Animated?

Symbolic

(Before everything... I really made a research on the forum and lots of other different resources. I really got some valuable information... But I am not sure how to start... and how to pull this together...)

Hi,

I am trying to make a simple floking system. I will have the particles sliding over a surface. I will instance small models (like robots) to this particle system. I want those robots to perform their walk cycle (or any kind of animation) accroding to the speed of the particle... I mean... if the particle is moving fast the walk animation also should be fast...

Another thing is that I want each robot to have a slightly offseted walk cycle. So all of them look like moving at different times.

The last problem is that I would like the robots to face the direction in which the particles is moving.

//

Sorry for asking that much... but a few suggestions will be very great. Things like which POP tools might help... I am trying to learn Houdini... But POPs are very new to me... I have been going through the Houdini documentation. I have been working on the example files (Creep, Attraction, Interaction nodes etc.)

//

Really need help on this issue.

Thanks.

hey

what u can do is use the creep sop or pop too keep the points on ur terrain,

modify or create the instance attribute on each point, to point to a different model ie /obj/robot_001

its a good idea to put this in a subnetwork, ie /obj/robotwalk/walkframe1

what i did was have a series each frame of a walk cycle, as a geo.

and then animate the instance attrib, and change what geo it points to over time.

check out

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=1446

thats a good break down on this sorta problem

hope this helps

Anyways, here's an external link:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c8d745/

Thanks!

I got your e-mail. Thanks for your help! The file did not load properly though... Lots of red warnings... the only thing I saw was a triangel flying towards a graveyard.

I was ill for the last few days. Could not reply. Sorry.

Are there any PDF files... or tutorials that may help me.

Thanks to everybody!

you might have to point the file sops to the new location of the models. they're in the same zip file, in a separate folder called, bgeos, I think. Make sure that you don't fully replace the path to the new place were the objects are, but just modify the part that leads to the file (there's also an expression in there which you want to keep). Also, since the file is really old, it's using the expression "param("../"), etc", which has been changed to "stamp("../")". It'll work anyways, but you'll get a warning.