Volumetric Lighting

Jacqui

Hi

I'm trying to create an effect where a black light is emitted from a torch in a completely white room to reveal objects (I hope that makes sense...it's a bit surreal)

The method I am trying, is to create a cone light with atmospheric fog which I then invert to become black in the composite.

The problem I am having is that the main intensity for the light is at the end of the light cone, when I want it to come from the source of the light.

Any help on this matter or any alternative ways in which I might create this effect would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Jacqui

blacklight_v00.2.hip

Ah I was thinking about that!

I think i'l have a play with a cone and see if i can get a nice effect..Do you know how I might texture it to get a similar effect to a volumetric light?

Perhaps a texture with areas of transparency in the alpha?

Many thanks

Jacqui

thank you Steve!

Hey Jacqui,

First, think of the cone as a tube with one end pinched. This will allow you to use a cylindrical projection for your texture. The texture will be a ramp with procedural noise to give it that volumetric quality.

To get the edges to soften, look into an xray effect. I believe there is one around the forum somewhere or search through the SESI forum and exchange. Else, write your own. :) Alternatively, bring it into COPs & see if softening just the edges is good enough.

If you really want your volumetric effect to work, set the light's Attenuation type to Physically Correct and increase the Dimmer value to 5. Next, go to the v_litfog shader & increase the Fog Density to 0.8. To see how it will look inverted, change the Contrast value to -1 in mplay for a quick preview after the render is complete.

Good luck!

Cheers!

steven

PS Please post some stills to keep us updated on your progress. You can post it in the WIP forum.