particle alpha

MENOZ

hello. i'm trying to control the alpha of my particles using a colorPOP, on parameters go in the alpha tab, click on ramp, and put $LIFE in the lookup parameter.

if i do this with the color tab it works, but i don't see changes with the alpha parameter. what i'm wrong?

You're doing anything wrong. I don't think when the particles are displayed as points, it's possible to tell what your Alpha is. You should make them display as sprites by opening the Display Options in the Viewport or type 'd' in the viewport, go to the Particles tab & change the Display particles as to "Sprites".

When you're adjusting your Alpha, make sure you go to the Colour tab & set it to Ramp with $LIFE as the lookup too. Only when I did that, I got the display to show sort of what I expected. Perhaps, use the Colour Ramp as your guide for Alpha. Once you like how the colour looks, the Alpha should be good to.

Honestly, I don't remember the last time I have to do this. :P Good luck!

Cheers!

steven

You're doing anything wrong. I don't think when the particles are displayed as points, it's possible to tell what your Alpha is. You should make them display as sprites by opening the Display Options in the Viewport or type 'd' in the viewport, go to the Particles tab & change the Display particles as to "Sprites".

When you're adjusting your Alpha, make sure you go to the Colour tab & set it to Ramp with $LIFE as the lookup too. Only when I did that, I got the display to show sort of what I expected. Perhaps, use the Colour Ramp as your guide for Alpha. Once you like how the colour looks, the Alpha should be good to.

Honestly, I don't remember the last time I have to do this. :P Good luck!

Cheers!

steven

thank you

it seems that using sprites as display, the $life parameter acts on the alpha.in the viewport. yes, and what about rendering? why my alpha is bright white? if i set alpha to zero i continue to see particles and the white alpha pass in render.

it's a bug? :huh: