z-depth renders

Hi guys! Trying to render a z-depth channel but having problems! I've set a vex variable (+ Plane name) to Pz in the deep raster tab of a mantra output. When I render out a pic though and bring it into Cops/Halo there is a plane called Pz which i view by swapping planes with the alpha, but, it looks exactly like the alpha- ie pure white (i'm rendering a sphere so would at least expect it to be getting greyer round the edges-ie the points on the surface further away from the camera getting blacker). Am i doing this properly or is there a basic step i'm missing out here?

Also wondered if it was due to setting it to floating point and not 8-bit, but tried both and they have the same result. Also does anyone know of a way to view the z-depth channel in a different 2d program (like Shake?)? Thanks in advance!

You could try looking at the couple different video tutorials on COPs at Vislab

There is

"Depth of Field:

This video looks at applying a depth of field effect to a deep rastor image using its depth channel."

and

Z-Depth Compositing:

This video looks at the use of the depth channel in a Deep rastor image for compositing effects

or

Fog:

This video teaches you how to add fog to a deep rastor image using its depth channel.

Maybe they have what you need.

The reason your seeing a white image like the alpha is (I'm assuming here) that the depth image is just that, floating point values of the depth. Which means values can range anywhere between the near and far clipping planes. So any depth value greater than 1 will be white.

jim.

try "adapt to full pixel range" (shit-r)

to save out an image just right click on the tile you want to save and "save image". then choose what plane(s) you want to have in the color channel and maybe alpha. For example saving a tiff file with color set to Pz and alha to none would output a single channel float tiff.

Neat miguel_m, so thats what those little buttons at the bottom do, I find out new features each day. ^_^

You could also try appending a Equalize COP.

Operation -> Stretch Range to Black/White

Luminance -> Max Component

Plane Scope -> Pz

jim.

Hi guys! Thanks for all the help... the equalize node did the trick! Just out of curiousity is it possible to output a single image from Cops with 3 planes rather than two in the cops output? Sorry! my mistake, just being thick!